Hi! I’m Olivia, a student and writer living in Vancouver. I’ve created this site to give my writing a home. What you will find here is simple: reading responses prompted by collections of personal essays under “reflective reviews”. If there is one thing I know, its that when I am reading, I am writing. I hope to add to my published work with what comes from these reading responses.
Joseph Epstein says that “the personal essay is… a form of discovery”. He writes: “[w]hatever the ostensible subject of a personal essay, at bottom the true subject is the author of the essay”. At the risk of sounding self-absorbed, I want to posit that it’s possible that the world could be a more exquisite place if it were full of people who – still full of child-like curiosity and wonder – have discovered themselves.
- I moderate all comments and will consult the following guidelines when doing so.
- While I welcome critique and challenge of my writing, I will not tolerate hateful, threatening or violent language towards me or any other users.
- I will not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia or other forms of hate-speech, or contributions that could be interpreted as such.*
- I will remove any posts that contain spam-like content.
- In short, be pleasant and caring to the fellow readers of this site.
*I appropriated this guideline from The Guardian.